My French Butter Dishes are handmade on my potter's wheel using a white stoneware clay. I decorate by applying colored slips then finish with a clear glossy glaze inside and out for its final firing. With the French Butter Dish, softened butter can be kept fresh on your table or countertop ready-to-spread, needing no refrigeration.
My dishes hold 1 stick (1/4 lb.) of butter. There are two parts to the dish - the base and the cup which hangs upside down from the lid into the base while assembled.
To use the butter dish:
• Bring a stick of butter (1/4 lb.) close to room temperature.
• Remove the lid and pack the softened butter into the cup underneath. (I use a spoon to press the butter to the bottom of the cup.)
• Fill the base with enough water (approx. 1/2") so the open rim of the cup goes into the water when inserted. This creates the airtight seal that helps keep the butter fresh.
• Change the water in the base every 2-3 days.
• Wash & dry the butter dish between loadings.
• Butter kept free of food particles can be stored for 3-4 weeks.
• The butter will melt in warmer temperatures so be mindful of warm environments (80º F and above) and sunlight.
Food safe. Microwave and dishwasher safe. Hand washing recommended.
French Butter Dish - “Dottted Swirls”
- I use non-toxic, lead free glazes that are food safe on all of my dinner and tableware. They are dishwasher, microwave and oven safe (when pre-heated with the oven as appropriate). Hand washing, however, is recommended. Approximate Dimensions: Height: 3.25” Width: 4”