This French Butter Dish was made on my potter’s wheel using a dark brown stoneware then decorated by applying a light layer of white slip and carving. A clear matte glaze is applied on the inner and outer surfaces to finish.
With the French Butter Dish, softened butter can be kept fresh on your table or countertop ready-to-spread, needing no refrigeration. My dishes hold 1 stick (1/4 lb.) of butter.
There are two parts to the dish - the base and the cup which hangs upside down from the lid into the base while assembled.
To use the butter dish:
• Bring a stick of butter (1/4 lb.) close to room temperature.
• Remove the lid and pack the softened butter into the cup underneath. (I use a spoon to press the butter to the bottom of the cup.)
• Fill the base with enough water (approx. 1/2") so the open rim of the cup goes into the water when inserted. This creates the airtight seal that helps keep the butter fresh.
• Change the water in the base every 2-3 days.
• Wash & dry the butter dish between loadings.
• Butter kept free of food particles can be stored for 3-4 weeks.
• The butter will melt in warmer temperatures so be mindful of warm environments (80º F and above) and sunlight.
Instructions included. Food safe. Microwave and dishwasher safe. Hand washing recommended.
$46.00 Regular Price